Balinese Traditional and Complementary Medicine (Study Program of Pharmacy) (2 Weeks)
Balinese traditional and complementary medicine, known as Usada Bali, is one of the prominent aspects of Balinese culture. Balinese traditional healing practices use natural herbs and spices, holistic therapies and ancient wisdom to cure physical and mental illness. The course introduces the basic concept, some techniques and practices of Balinese traditional therapies including Usada Bali based herbal remedies, Balinese massage, energy and spiritual healing through yoga and meditation.
This course aims to:
1. Provide students with an introduction to Balinese traditional and complementary medicine.
2. Provide students with an introduction to some techniques and practices of Balinese traditional and complementary medicine.
3. Provide students with experiences to perform some of Usada Bali-base herbal preparations and formulations.
1. Class activities
2. Field activities (site visit and field Workshop)
1. The philosophies of traditional and complementary medicine in Indonesia,
2. Efficacy, safety and quality of herbal medicine
3. Traditional Medicine Therapies (TMT)
4. The philosophy and history of Usada Bali I
5. General procedure of herbal medicines preparation
6. Production of herb simplisia
7. An overview of bioactive compounds of medicinal plants with regard to their uses in traditional and complementary medicine
8. An overview of method generally used for isolation of bioactive compounds from medicinal plants
9. Production of herbal extracts
10. Herbal medicine formulation I (for oral)
11. Herbal medicine formulation II (for topical administration)
12. Production of herbal products: herbal drink
13. Production of herbal products: massage products (oil, scrub, aromatherapy)
14. Site visit